Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Voortrekker monument- feel the magic
I visited the Voortrekker monument, today and worked (struggled) again through it all: the history, the symbolism and the power, the drama, the art..is too much. That place has some serious power (spell) over me...
Maybe people don't go there anymore, only tourists. I honestly don't know. I also took a Dutch tourist there. What I do know is that the aura of that space is seriously spiritual(?), daunting, intimidating and unnerving. It's like a shrine, a holy place, with all the spiritual, biblical and theological trappings, mixed with a people's story, identityconstruction, mythmaking, creating lifeworld, etc.
But then, it is also violent, crude, painful, yet, its real. It's history, part of our history, my history, my story, my blood.
Whether I want it or not.. it's there. But what are we to do with it ?
- ► 2011 (13)
- ► 2010 (43)
- Plaaswerkers, in die Boland ruk op !
- On The Life and times of Bill Jardine, by Chris va...
- Let Kaka be.....long.
- Statements of DRC and URCSA on Belhar Confession
- Voortrekker monument- feel the magic
- Jonathan Jansen belowe een jaar van transformasie ...
- Madiba day, no holiday ?
- re-imaging ourselves in New Zealand, and South Afr...
- Peter de Villiers, you're on your own
- Michael Jackson's memorial: spirituality, human-ne...
- postcolonial church (2)
- xenophobic hell for black Zimbabweans not over yet...
- ▼ July (12)
- ► 2008 (81)
- ► 2007 (51)