Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm back with Brittany Spears, Mary-Kate Olsen, being haunted by Heath Ledger

I'm back, behind my laptop again, being haunted in the dark. I was wondering about my blogging ( in the light of the fame of the Nels in South African news... just kidding) Seriously though, I thought about the focus of my reflections. One area that I feel a need to reflect on more consciouly, which also relates to my research is the area of popular culture and media. Admittedly, this will mean in the first place that I learn (read) more about it. So, please bear with me as I stumble along. I suppose my 12 year old will be my guide in this jungle, but I just sense that this is an area (or maybe one of the key ones) where the battles for ideas are being fought. I looked again at the end of the millenium trilogy of Manuel Castells and it seems as if he is pointing to the importance of media and information technology, in what he calls the 'Network society', as the space within which social transformation takes place. This does not mean that my focus on postcolonial thinking will be lost. In fact, I think it will be sharpened as we go along.

What made me to decide on this concentration? I suppose the death and self-combustion of a few pop idols and the ominous presence of drugs and alcohol in this, but more so the prominence of this in the media and the impact it had on fans and the world. Let's be honest: the tragic antics of Brittany Spears are more sexy then the hundreds butchered in Kenya's streets or conversations about party pals, Mary-Kate Olsen and the departed Heath Ledger, then a funeral at a squatter camp in a godforsaken place called, Skielik (Suddenly). Media's infatuation with the lifestyle of these celebrities seems to indicate more powerfully, what captures our imaginations. And as they say it's in the stories, where communities are shaped. This is an area of study that will help us to hope-fully better understand our hyper-text world. So, here we go....
Post a Comment

Musings.....