Thursday, January 31, 2008

Britney, pa, Britney....

Its amazing how you're can think that you're cool and hip, only to be corrected by your 12 year old daughter on names and details etc. Yesterday, we were talking about one of my all time favorites, Lionel Richie and relationship with his daughter, Nicole, from 'The Simple Life-fame. The conversation started with how much we like his ballads in the 80s onwards, despite his trouble back at home. It seemed as if the old conflict between the home and work, the marriage and the stage was too much ( as it seems for some many other stars).Then our 12 year old started to share the details: the expectation of Nicole's baby, her drug habit, the arrests, etc. Now, whether we like it or not, there are certain times in life where you need to listen to your kids and allow them to lead you by the hand, step by step in a world unknown, a world that they inhabit, a world of stories, fantasies, values, powerplays- a whole new world.

It seems to me that irrespective of whether these stars are simple human beings like you and me, they do command a immense authority. The question is whether we as parents, teachers, politicians and other public servants realize this ? Maybe the relationship is much more complext, yet this is one we cannot shy away from. So, I'm certainly only at the brink/doorstep of this world and I will have to be led.... and corrected in terms of my world-view or simply my limited knowledge of this world. So, as a start, I should correct myself: its Britney Spears, not Brittany Spears..... or Britney Houston.
Post a Comment

Musings.....