Wednesday, March 07, 2007

taxi talk

Usually I read my Beeld in the 'taxi' between Joburg and Tshwane-hoping not to be disturbed by talkative co-pilgrims to the holy hill. I know...I know...its not Christian and missional, but hey... early in the morning is not the best time of my day. Anyway.. yesterday en today I was disturbed.. (in the good sense of the word, if there is any) I had conversations with two colleages and ( because they knew I was working in theology and the church) the conversation predictably, inevitably shifted to being christian and how they became christians. What was enlightning was the fact that I knew them for a few years now, yet I was amazed at their story, their journey- both relocating from churches where they grew up to newer more conservative evangelical churches ( 'warmer' ones, more 'biblical' ones). What striked me about these wonderful people and why they 'relocated' was the fact that in both cases- it was facilitated, prompted 1) not a pastor, evangelist or massive evangelistic service but by 'just someone who is a member in the church', but 2) there was a clear role of family, a close relative who was a christian and part of that church who had a hand or a smile or a word... a kind of a relational incarnational soteriology. Amazing what missional theology takes place in the taxi...thanks to my two interlocutors for disturbing the neat holy hill theology...

Musings.....