Thursday, October 26, 2006

Opening and Lebo Mathosa

Welcome and here I go again.... would be good to hear from anyone out there. Lebo Mathosa's death- well what can we say... so many mourning and tributes... even from the top (Thabo Mbeki- I mean). I also want to add my voice. I liked the song, I love music, amongst others and indeed I agree that she was a hugely succesfull pop star (diva maybe ??). I hope and pray that the family might find comfort and peace. I am however disturbed by the fact that some present her as a role model or voice of young people in South Africa. I might sound callous, but let me explain: My suggestion is that we are to be very careful of creating idols out of people whose lifestyle is, by their own choice, associated with drugs, debauchery and who died in a cloud of partying and clubbing.
Now, maybe by equating the lifestyle of this fallen star with being the voice of young people suggest that this could be the ethos, ambitions and lifestyle of young people in South Africa. (I however don't think so) Maybe she is misunderstood by me in terms of the values and ethos she lived and died by.. and I need to be open for correction, but I think we've seen too many pop idols fading and disintegrating in this fashion to be set up to carry the weight of this staus on their shoulders. Yes maybe I should allow them the space to make their choices in life and live their lives accordingly, but then... don't present them as the role model and voice... I don't even think they wanted to bear this weight upon their shoulders........ We owe our young people ( including the Lebo's still alive) more in terms of ambition. dreams and lifestyle...
Post a Comment

Musings.....